Artichokes from Suncoast Farms for a composed salad, cherries and stone fruit from Scott’s Farm, summer season berries and preserves from Lori Heal at Two Peas in a Pod for peanut butter and jelly toast, Oro blanco grapefruit from Garcia Natural Farms and arugula from Tamai Household Farms – that’s simply a part of Chef Jason Prendergast’s haul on one morning on the Santa Monica Farmers Market.
Inside a five-minute stroll from FIG restaurant contained in the historic Fairmont Miramar Resort, celebrating its centennial this 12 months, the chef allowed us to tag alongside on his Wednesday morning store. With that celebration comes an up to date menu, utilizing virtually 75 p.c of farmers market produce in his kitchen, together with secret substances like discarded produce used for wealthy shares, sauces and salads.
“All the time discuss to the farmers on the market,” Prendergast tells L.A. Weekly within the FIG kitchen whereas assembling an arugula salad with crispy artichokes. “They know what they’ve and what’s greatest on their desk.”
It additionally doesn’t harm that on his weekly jaunts to the market, the chef doesn’t come empty-handed. He brings heat breakfast burritos to all his distributors, which makes him a farmer favourite, securing a great spot in line and a assure to the week’s greatest pickings.
“I keep in contact with all of them week,” says Prendergast. “They’re not simply our farmers, they’re our buddies. I’m in fixed contact with Alex Weiser to see what’s new and simply prepared to return out of the bottom. The menu right here evolves each two to a few weeks and I all the time like utilizing substances which have a narrative.”
And talking of tales, the Miramar has many.
Located on 5 acres on the Santa Monica bluffs overlooking the pier, the Fairmont Miramar sits on what was initially the non-public property of the founding father of Santa Monica, Senator John P. Jones. Courting again to 1921, it was named “Miramar,” translating to “view of the ocean” in Spanish. The restaurant is known as after the long-lasting 80 ft. excessive Moreton Bay Fig Tree, planted within the mansion’s backyard by Jones’ spouse, Georgina, and her gardener within the Eighteen Eighties, which nonetheless stands within the courtyard. It’s the one beachside lodge with bungalows and has served celebrities and politicians, together with The Beatles, Marilyn Monroe, and Presidents John F. Kennedy and Invoice Clinton, in addition to former First Woman Eleanor Roosevelt.
As a part of the year-long celebration, there might be a Hogs, Hops & Pops poolside beer and barbeque celebration on Father’s Day, Sunday, June 20 from 5:00pm – 8:00pm stuffed with hops from the Santa Monica Brewery, BBQ choices (two free-range heritage bred hogs) from Pachamama Farms ready by Prendergast and visitor Chef Patricio Smart of Nixtaco Mexican Restaurant, and diverse garden video games poolside.
Watch Prendergast put together his Tamai’s Arugula Salad with shaved and crispy artichokes, ricotta pecorina and tahini dressing within the video (recipe under) and different tips about the best way to get one of the best out of the market.
MIS EN PLACE
- Washed and spun child arugula
- Child artichokes, shaved and fried at 300 levels
- Massive artichokes, spun and held in water with 3 bunches parsley, 2 ea lemons halved and squeezed in an 8 qt container … shaved PAPER THIN
- Ricotta Pecorina cheese, microplaned
- Braised artichoke stems, small diced, blended with Meyer lemon zest, juice, olive oil and thinly shaved shallots
- Tahini dressing
- Lemon olive oil
- 2 ea jars tahini paste
- 3 cups scorching water
- 8 ea lemons zested and juice
- 3 ea Calabrian chiles
- 3.5 oz. Calabrian chile oil
- 1 T. grey sea salt
- Place scorching water in a blender with tahini paste, mix on excessive till clean
- Add in remaining substances and once more mix till clean
Braised Artichoke Stems
- Artichoke stems, peeled and trimmed of any discoloration
- 2 ea onions, julienned
- 2 ea carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 ea celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 8 ea garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 ea shallots, sliced thinly
- 4 ea lemons, sliced thinly
- 1 T. grey sea salt
- 2 ea bay leaves
- 1 bu thyme
- 1 qt white wine
- 8 qt Water
- In a big pot over medium warmth, add oil, onions, garlic and shallots, sweat till aromatic
- Add carrots and celery, sweat till tender
- Add salt, lemon and white wine, cut back wine by half
- Add water and artichoke stems, convey to boil for 4 minutes and take away instantly from the warmth, leaving artichokes to slowly poach within the liquid. Permit to chill to room temperature. Maintain artichoke stems submerged of their poaching liquid always till prepared to be used.
If this appears slightly overwhelming, it’s on the dinner menu at FIG.
Effective November 29, the city of Los Angeles will fine businesses that do not ask for pr…